IMG_2797

Building the Aerotech Mustang (part 6)

And done with this one. I painted the nose cone tip following Chris Michielssen’s procedure (PDF) except that I used a garage door instead of a patio door — our patio door is double glazed so would not have worked as well as our single glazed garage door windows.And I overlooked the advice about angling…

IMG_2802

Building the Semroc Swift Boost Glider (part 2)

Done with this one. Glider is left unfinished other than red Sharpie coloring on the underside. Booster is painted red and blue with Rusto 2X paints. After painting I realized the decal’s “SWIFT” in red lettering would be invisible, but I put it on anyway; at least the Semroc logo is legible. (Not that you…

IMG_2306

Who needs Semroc? OK, we all do, but…

So, I said: Not so sure about the V-2. I’m not happy about it. The fins are uneven, some of the details are awfully crude; I’m not even feeling good about the shock cord — got some epoxy on the Kevlar, that’s not a good thing. If the kit were still in stock I’d be…

IMG_2791

Pro cuts

Estes has lowered the prices of the Leviathan, Ventris, Partizon, and Argent to $44.99 (formerly $64.99 for the first two and $69.99 for the latter). Interested in seeing what happens this weekend. Will there be another sale? Will these kits be under $30 again?  

IMG_2723

Rocketry goals review for June 2014

Here’s how my 2014 rocketry goals are going: Fly some larger rockets Good this month. Successfully flew Lunar Eclipse Jr. (once, plus twice unsuccessfully), Mega Mosquito (twice), and Ventris (twice, for certain values of successfully) — the latter being my first 29mm flights. Aerotech Mustang under construction. Fly more 24mm BP Good this month. Lunar Eclipse and Mega Mosquito.…

IMG_2793

Building the Semroc Swift Boost Glider (part 1)

I’ve been building the Semroc Swift Boost Glider (KV-27). This is a Retro-Repro clone of the 1968–69 Centuri Swift Boost Glider (KBG-3), not to be confused with the Semroc Swift (KV-24), a Retro-Repro clone of the 1968 Semroc Swift (KB-2) sport rocket. Got that? There’ll be a quiz. I won the Swift-BG in last year’s…

IMG_2777

Lunar Eclipse Jr. post-op

I managed to remove the E9-6 casing from the Lunar Eclipse Jr. motor mount. I also managed to remove the tool I originally tried to remove the casing with, but let’s not go there. The rear end of the motor mount tube is charred and crumbly. For a black powder motor maybe that wouldn’t matter…

2014-06-28 12.25.45-004

URRF 2: Ups and not so ups

I headed out to URRF 2 on Friday with a smaller number of rockets than I’d used last weekend, including the repaired Ventris. But not the Mustang, because finishing wasn’t done, and the Ventris was repaired but not repainted. Weather had not been good during the week. The forecast was good, though. URRF began Friday morning,…

IMG_2761

Repairing the Estes Yankee

I’m sure the Yankee lost its nose cone due to boneheadedness on my part. I’d replaced the rubber shock cord with Kevlar, tied to the plastic loop on the nose cone base, and I should have known better. You never do that! Using Kevlar means larger force on the attachment points spread over a smaller area. The…

IMG_2762

Building the Aerotech Mustang (part 5)

I’ve gotten back to working on the Mustang. I sanded down the rough white paint on the body tube and fins, working down to wet sanding with 600 grit. Cleaned it off with alcohol and gave the Rusto 2X white another try. It went pretty well. It’s not flawless by any means, but it’s good…