Building the Estes Photon Disruptor (part 2)

Next I used a scrap of 1×3 to make a jig for gluing the main fins together.
IMG_3086I penciled in the alignment lines that had mostly been obliterated on the transverse fins.
IMG_3087 And here’s the gluing jig in action. Or in static. Or something.IMG_3088 I added fillets with Titebond NDNR.IMG_3089It’s getting abnormal, isn’t it? And more so next: I’d chosen to prime and sand the pieces before doing any more gluing.

So once those fins dried I masked the root edges. I also marked up the body tube and put 1/4″ wide strips of masking tape where the fins and launch lug will go, and I masked off the part of the rear tube that will go inside the forward tube.IMG_3090(Forward tube not shown.)

I’ve shot the first coat of primer on these parts. Will sand next.

 

 

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Building the Estes Photon Disruptor (part 2)

    • That was my thought. I’ve finished priming and sanding now, and have started gluing them on. I think final painting shouldn’t be too much of a problem. It’s the sanding I didn’t want to do after assembly…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s