Now, where was I?
As far as the blog is concerned, I guess all I’d done was to fix up the badly cut end on the body tube. As far as the blog’s text is concerned, I mean. The photos tell a different story. This one for instance. Remember it from almost a month ago? So I guess I’m behind on my reporting, eh? Yeah, some time ago I put the motor mount together, and put the fins on — here’s the rear ones in progress: And here are all eight in place.I did the launch lug too, and then put the MLAS aside while I finished the Photon Disruptor and the Tail Burner Habanero and the Yankee, and worked on the Sea Sting.
Now I’m back on it, finally adding the fillets.All eighteen of them. I’m using No Run No Drip but I’m still doing just two fillets at a time — well, four at the moment: two fins and the launch lug. Probably could have done all at once but I didn’t want to tempt fate. And it’s sort of seven months before the next club launch, so why not take my time?
I’m not sure what was going through my head when I did these fins. I left all the edges square, for some silly reason, or maybe there wasn’t a reason. Yesterday I attacked the leading edges with an emery board so they don’t look quite as stupid. The other thing I did and can’t explain, or rather didn’t do, was I didn’t fill the fins. Which is just what the instructions call for: they say to glue the fins on first, then fill them. Some people like to do it that way. I don’t know why. I’m either about to find out, or about to confirm I don’t like it.
I didn’t fill the tube spirals, and I’m not about to. For reasons of keeping the build light. I’m also not going to go nuts with coats of primer. Maybe that’s why I didn’t fill the fins before gluing, because I was thinking of not filling them at all, but no, that’s not going to not happen.