It got up to 69°F today. Not a record for the date (that’d be 76°F; we might break the record tomorrow though) but a good deal nicer than usual for this time of year. Windy until mid afternoon, but in late afternoon it was fine painting weather.
I’d decided to try a liquid mask for the cockpit canopy. Tape would have been just too awful to contemplate. So I got a bottle of Parma’s stuff. Then I Googled for information like, oh, how do you clean this stuff up because they don’t tell you that on the label. They really don’t tell you much. They say to use it in a well ventilated area and if swallowed, don’t induce vomiting, call a physician, but they don’t give you any clue what to tell the physician it is that just got swallowed. Sheesh.
(Hmm, time to toss that Advil, I guess.)
Anyway, what you clean it up with is warm water, and I didn’t swallow any. I applied it fairly thick, looks pretty gloppy: but it dried thin and clear. I put on three coats, allowing each to dry several hours. No hurry; not launching this until spring. I’m not sure it made sense to lay down tape first but I did, and then more tape later. Then I sprayed Rusto 2X navy blue. And then the dramatic moment: Unmasking. The liquid mask peeled right off, and the paint job looked — well, pretty good! In fact I think for some reason it looks more ragged in this photo than in real life.
As for the tail shroud, given that I wasn’t smart enough to paint it before gluing it, maybe I should have been smart enough to brush paint it, but no, I maskedand sprayed. The result was not as pretty good. Some touch up will be required. Not too bad though.