So that was a year, huh.
Yes, I definitely dialed down my rocket activity in 2016, particularly the last half. Partly for financial reasons. Partly because a lot of what I worked on led to less than good results, and that doesn’t bolster enthusiasm.
- Dual deployment: (Again:) Nothing.
- Enter at least three club contests, putting some effort into improving my knowledge and skills in those three rocketry areas: Nothing.
- NARTREK Gold: Nothing.
- Complete all rockets in progress or in the build pile as of 1 Jan 2016 (see first 6 entries in table below): Nothing.
- Adhere to a budget: Yes.
- Publish five issues of the club newsletter: Nothing (did #5 on January 2).
- Attend NARCON, NYPower, CNYRTC, URRF, and all SRC launches: Nothing.
- Fly lots of stuff: Several flights at Walt’s Secret Santa.
- Have fun: Yes.
And for 2016:
- Dual deployment: Nothing.
- Enter at least three club contests, putting some effort into improving my knowledge and skills in those three rocketry areas: Of the three contests I singled out, I did okay in one (B streamer spot landing, 5 out of 6 months, won a couple times), DQed on another (A glider duration), and did nothing for the third (PMC). I did put entries into some other contests too, but without notable results.
- NARTREK Gold: Built the Au-198 and flew it once; it was damaged and I haven’t repaired it yet.
- Complete all rockets in progress or in the build pile as of 1 Jan 2016 (see first 6 entries in table below): Assembled them all and finished all but one.
- Adhere to a budget: Yes. Came in under budget.
- Publish five issues of the club newsletter: Four issues, fifth a couple days late.
- Attend NARCON, NYPower, CNYRTC, URRF, and all SRC launches: Missed URRF and one SRC launch, did the others
- Fly lots of stuff: My stats are over on rocketreviews.com; I haven’t examined them lately. Fewer flights this year.
- Have fun: Yes.
2016 build/repair progress:
|Rocket||Status as of 1 Jan 2017||Notes|
|In progress as of 1 Jan 2016:|
|Estes Blenders||Done||One for me, one for my son.|
|Excelsior Pink Mini Max||Done (given away)|
|In build pile as of 1 Jan:|
|Excelsior Nike-G||Done||Have decals and Baby Bertha kit, need fin stock.|
|LOC Precision Norad||In first primer|
|Acquired or planning to acquire in 2016 (for goals):|
|Lindberg Mars Probe||Build pile||Originally for Sep contest.|
|Monogram F-100||Build pile||Originally for Sep contest.|
|(scratch) Au-198||Done (repair pile)||NARTREK Gold rocket.|
|(scratch) B2S3a||Done||For unvarying May–Oct contest.|
|(scratch) Nymph||Done (repair pile)||For Jul contest.|
|(scratch) unnamed flexwing boost glider||Done (glider lost)||For Jul contest.|
|Acquired or considering acquiring in 2016 (other):|
|ASP V-2 (18 mm)||Assembly in progress|
|Semroc Blue Bird Zero||Build pile|
|(scratch) C6-3 burner||Wish list||Working on design.|
|(scratch) Flake||Wish list||Working on design.|
|(scratch) Flat Boy||Done|
|Semroc Point||Build pile|
|New Way Square in the Air||Build pile|
|New Way Too Square||Build pile|
|Planning to repair in 2016 (for goals):|
|LOC Precision Fantom EXL||Repair pile||For dual deploy goal. Needs e-bay refit, some repainting.|
|Considering repairing in 2016 (other):|
|Estes Ventris||Repair pile||Needs fin fillet paint.|
|Glencoe Jupiter C||Repair pile||Needs satellite/4th stage replacement.|
|Sandman Decals (Excelsior) Honest Goon||Repair pile||Fix launch rod rubbing on nose cone.|
|(scratch) Test to Destruction||Repair pile||Needs fin paint and trim tape stripe.|
|3D Rocketry Lunar Eclipse Jr.||Repair pile||Launch lugs replaced, need painting.|
|Estes Xarconian Cruiser||Repair pile||Replace lost dowel.|
|Shrockets Sea Sting||Repair pile||Reattach fin piece.|