Repairing giveaway rockets (part 5)

I’ve been dealing with a couple more giveaway rockets. I don’t know their history. Looks like both are based on failed rockets, but there are things I can only guess at. First rocket: There’s a piece of body tube, painted and with a sticker on it, with launch lug, engine block, and nose cone glued…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 6)

All three ready to bring to tomorrow’s launch. The paint job on the blue and white one is a little sketchy but it’ll look fine from the flight line. I did a very quick and dirty swing test and I think a D in the 24 mm motor mount is too heavy; then again, a…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 5)

At last week’s club meeting I picked up a new (well, used) BT-5 nose cone.Nice paint job; shame it doesn’t match the rocket. I cut off the shock cord loop and carved out a larger hole.Then I made a loop of Kevlar and shoved it in along with 10 grams of BBs. Which is probably…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 4)

Here’s #1 and #2:#1, the Freefall, I think is good to go, unless I decide to run into a dollar store and look for a paratrooper toy to stuff inside. #2, not so much. I did a swing test and it failed utterly. It did swing nose forward with no motor installed, a test I…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 3)

For #3, I cut six seemingly identical new fins. On closer examination one finds one of them has the grain running parallel to a different edge than the others. That became the rear part of the new complex fin while one of the remaining five became the front part. Then I started gluing the other…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 2)

Maybe not a decent enough start, because tonight I went back downstairs and did some more. I suppose I should have looked up the instructions for the Up Aerospace before building rocket #2. I would have learned stuff, like, there’s a reason the launch lug ring is loose. And the kit came with clay for nose…

Repairing three giveaway rockets (part 1)

I took home three rockets to repair from a club meeting several months ago. Decided it was time to work on them. First one is the body of an Estes Freefall, but with an elliptical nose cone (and no paratrooper). Said nose cone? Not so pristine. Neither was the body tube at the front end.…

Repairing giveaway rockets (part 3)

I decided to repaint the Athena but to try to save the self adhesive decals, which were in good shape. Masking them worked pretty well, though the mask on the rear stripe was a little too wide and the mask over the name was not quite cut to the right shape. Still, good enough, I…

Repairing the (scratch) B3S2a (part 3)

After a cato, a redesign and repair, and a successful flight, I’ve painted the B3S2a and am calling it done. That is, I’m moving it from the “not completed but flown” column to the “completed but subject to modification” column. I decided the nose should be a different color, just to make it a little…