Building the Estes (clone) Fat Boy (part 2)

Whoa, wait, did I not update you on this? I’m fired. I cut and papered new fins, and did a much better job gluing them in.* Then fillets. And a launch lug, and ready for paint. * After the first one, I finally succumbed to reality and widened the remaining two slots a little. They really…

Building the Estes (clone) Fat Boy (part 1)

That Micro Fat Boy seems good. Let’s do a real one. The Fat Boy has been out of production since 2005. Ten years gone… but not really gone; you can still find kits on eBay, for instance. Last time I checked they looked like they were selling for about $15 or so and up. Not…

NYPower 19, Day 1: Short and dry

Well, now, this is better. Better than last year when the grass was up to your waist and the standing water was up to your ankles… or higher. This year it was dry enough to mow, dry enough that they had to take a short putting-out-the-grass-fire break. A big, flat, short, dry field. I like…

Mosquito infestation averted

So, you know how I couldn’t decide whether to build my Mega Mosquito stock or bash it into a Fat Boy and ended up buying a second one so I could do both? Well. I have this problem: C6-3. I bought a couple of motor bulk packs that included six C6-3s each and haven’t used…

URRF 2: Ups and not so ups

I headed out to URRF 2 on Friday with a smaller number of rockets than I’d used last weekend, including the repaired Ventris. But not the Mustang, because finishing wasn’t done, and the Ventris was repaired but not repainted. Weather had not been good during the week. The forecast was good, though. URRF began Friday morning,…

At long last launch

For the first time this year, the Syracuse Rocket Club held a launch. To recap the story so far: Over the winter and spring between our last launch of 2013 and our first scheduled launch of 2014 I built and finished (except the Yankee) seven new rockets: Bob Harrington cardstock mini Satellite Interceptor Fliskits Caution! SRC Rocket Launch…

NYPower 18, Day 2: The slow dry

Today at NYPower 18 things were not quite as muddy as yesterday. The grass was still tall, and in places the ground was still under several inches of water, but at least I didn’t feel compelled to wear the high Muck Boots all day. Just on retrievals. I ended up putting up only two rockets, once each. One was…

NYPower 18, Day 1: Lug deep in the Big Muddy

Yesterday I got around to swing testing the Bad Cholesterol and the Bohica’s Dead Ringer. The BC I think is stable enough… I think. But not sure about flying it at a big out of town event. The Dead Ringer… um. Let’s just say it failed the swing test with a C or a B, and…

Finishing touches

The rockets I said were “ready” were not quite ready; some things like shock cords and egg padding needed some work. Which I’ve now done. The Yankee was basically ready in January, except that it needed a new streamer for the NARTREK Bronze duration attempt. I finished that up with a couple of reinforcements and a holefor…

Luck runs out

So, I essentially have seven new rockets ready for tomorrow’s canceled launch… Yeah, we could see this coming. We got about an inch and a half of rain in the past day, and while that means we weren’t likely to be starting any grass fires, the field is just too wet for the launch. Well, I have…