Patriot down

Somehow I didn’t notice on Sunday, or until today, this:Definitely damage — or should I say destruction — inflicted not during flight but after. Crap. Not my best-made rocket, but my third oldest surviving, the inspiration for two of my first scratch / kitbash builds, and a veteran of more flights than most of my…

Prehistory

Up until about July/August 2013 I was not saying much about my rocketry activity on my blog, but it did turn up on Google+, especially my Patriot build. I’ve collected that stuff here where I can find it more easily… 10 Aug 2012: Making our biggest, baddest rocket to date. 9 Jun 2013: Day 9: Start…

Repatriation

Another rocket in the shop: I had a feeling the Estes rubber band shock cord on the Patriot would not last for very many more flights. I could have cut and sanded it and its trifold mount out, but I kind of wanted to find out just how many more flights it would last. So…

NYPower 18, Day 3: Blowin’ in the Wind

Drier still today at NYPower 18… but windier. Around 10 MPH this morning picking up to more like 15 MPH around noon. Some popups went over in gusts, and the big tent nearly went down once. I launched twice. First was the Patriot on a C6-5. Two reasons: First, to try out a 12″ Top Flight chute…

The Fleet, 2013

As the 2013 launch season comes to a close, here’s the present fleet:Left to right: Estes Metalizer, Test to Destruction, Estes Tornado, Edmonds Aerospace Deltie, Estes Patriot, Downscale Patriot, Patrioony, Sky Condor, Rocketarium Retro Rebel, Estes Loadstar II, Estes Eggscaliber. Front: FlisKits Caution! Rocket Launch In Progress!

Building Patrioony (part 8)

I loaded up a C6-5 and a 12″ chute. Then, because I’ve never before seen what it looks like when a rocket fails a swing test, I did a swing test. It failed. No great surprise. The CG was a little further back than my OpenRocket sim predicted, which means it was just about right…

Building Patrioony (part 7)

Now for the part I’ve been dreading a little: Decals. The decals I’d printed before had kind of a rough surface, presumably due to my inadequate spray-painting techniques with the clear coat. Having done a better job on this and Test to Destruction with spraying visible paint I thought I’d see if I could do…