SRC launch: Fire in the hole

Seems I haven’t entirely shaken my launch jinx. Saturday was the Syracuse Rocket Club’s annual Family Picnic Launch, our big launch event. My flights started off well enough with the Bohica’s Dead Ringer on a B6-4. It flew as it always does on that motor, straight up, down under a streamer. Camera problems resulted in…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 6)

I didn’t much like the thought of gluing the other ends of the rubber bands to slits in the nose cone, so I decided to give the other way a try. I drilled small shallow holes in the nose cone above each rotor. Then I pushed pieces of wire into the balsa at the bottoms…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 5)

Okay, let’s get this thing done, shall we? Or a lot of the way toward done. I put the hub together and wired the rotors to the hub. Here it is after trimming the wires and putting the hub on the dowel. At which point I discovered an oops. I’d seen that this addendum modifies…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 4)

And another long delay. I don’t need to finish this thing before August… and at this rate, I won’t. Well, been busy with other things. I wish I’d been busy painting rockets, but no. Too much other stuff going on until this week, thunderstorms yesterday, wind today… not going to get anything painted before NYPower. Anyway.…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 3)

Okay, so it’s been about two and a half weeks since Part 2. So what have I been doing on this kit? Not a lot. But some, a few minutes here and there. Next step, say the instructions, is to airfoil the rotors. Airfoiling is not something I have much practice with… and these rotors…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 2)

I took a few minutes out of an otherwise busy Saturday to get started on this build. Following the instructions closely for a change of pace, I started by cutting out the rotors: Those square pieces aren’t scrap; they get used later. Next I laid out the Monokote — taping it down, because it really…

Building the FlisKits Rose-a-Roc (Part 1)

I’ve let a fair fraction of my work space (and play time) get taken over by my chalumeau project but there still are rockets to be built! I’ll try to squeeze that in. I opened up the Rose-a-Roc.Now, that’s an interesting set of parts. Three kinds of wire. Laser cut hub and cut-it-yourself fins and rotors.…