Syracuse Rocket Club launch: Spritely

This month there was no excuse not to be out flying. It was warm, maybe even hot, but not oppressively. Winds varied from light to none. Clouds from high to gone. This was the month for our Sprites to fly, and we had, I think, one MMX (Fliskits Tumbleweed), two 18mm (both Semroc Sprites, one…

SRC launch: July in October

Temperature in the mid 70s, clear skies, almost no wind… you sure this is October? I was pushing the button much of the day but snuck in a few rockets of my own, and abdicated close to the end of the launch to prep a couple rockets that needed more time. First of mine was…

Nothing new

Today was the first Syracuse Rocket Club launch for 2017. It was pretty much ideal flying weather, warm but not hot, sunny, and light breeze. The field was not quite so ideal, not having been mowed yet. But who’s complaining. And we had a good turnout. Me having blown off most rocketry work for several…

Repairs

I’ve been doing some repair work. On the Fantom Mini I built up the damaged fin with wood filler. As for the crunched launch lug I cut it off at an angle. Some people do that deliberately; supposedly it reduces drag. Then I touched up the black paint. The launch lug fillets look a little…

NYPower 19, Day 2: Rerun

Day 2, much like day 1: warmer, a little cloudier, but similar winds, and still dry: No J and up sparkies allowed. Once again I made three flights. I had a few minutes after breakfast and spent them adjusting the fin slots on my Excel and doing a dry fit. Then it was time to…

URRF 2: Ups and not so ups

I headed out to URRF 2 on Friday with a smaller number of rockets than I’d used last weekend, including the repaired Ventris. But not the Mustang, because finishing wasn’t done, and the Ventris was repaired but not repainted. Weather had not been good during the week. The forecast was good, though. URRF began Friday morning,…

Repairing the Estes Ventris (part 1)

Let’s see that damage again. OK, no problem. This isn’t exactly rocket surgery. Wait. First order of business: Cut the fin loose from the layer of tube paper that pulled up, and glue that paper layer down. (Yes, I took the motor out shortly after that photo.) Next, with tape on the fin to give…

At long last launch

For the first time this year, the Syracuse Rocket Club held a launch. To recap the story so far: Over the winter and spring between our last launch of 2013 and our first scheduled launch of 2014 I built and finished (except the Yankee) seven new rockets: Bob Harrington cardstock mini Satellite Interceptor Fliskits Caution! SRC Rocket Launch…

Building the Estes Ventris (part 5)

Rusto 2X red went on pretty well. Estes doesn’t supply the roll patterns but does supply one decal: An Estes logo. Sorry, Estes, but I just think that’d look kind of weird as the only decal on the rocket. I glued on the retainer. Regular epoxy probably would have been fine but I had J-B…