Building the Semroc Blue Bird Zero (part 2)

I finished putting the Blue Bird Zero together. I’ve forgotten, have I ever used the alternate top piece of the fin alignment tool? The one for narrower tubes? Maybe this was a first. The spirals were pretty tight, so I decided to leave them for the filler primer to deal with, but I did fill the…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 8)

Look, in my defense, I tested the Testors laquer over the Duplicolor primer. And I tested the Rustoleum 2X black enamel over the Testors laquer over the Duplicolor primer. The one thing I didn’t test was the Krylon clear coat over the Rustoleum 2X black enamel over the Testors laquer over the Duplicolor primer.I’d sand that…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 7)

Hey, did you know Testors lacquer dissolves plastic disposable cups?Me neither. By pure blind luck it wasn’t over anything important when the bottom let go. Anyway, I put the stuffer tube in. There’s no rear centering ring; the tube’s held in place with internal fillets on the fin tabs. Then I brush painted a bit of…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 6)

I gave the nose cone an Elmer’s treatment, then primed and started sanding. Discovered a problem. The sides weren’t as flat as I thought. This side had an especially low spot in the center, but really all the sides were higher on the edges. I did a lot of sanding to get the sides flat (or…

Building the Semroc Blue Bird Zero (part 1)

This is the last of the kits I bought at NARCON last year to be started. I’ve always liked the Blue Bird Zero’s looks and decided, standing there in eRockets, I should have one. I’ve since thought of a couple possible kitbash ideas, so maybe I should have several, but I don’t and I’ll build…

Building the LOC Norad (part 7)

NORAD’s done. I shot it with Dull Coat, put on rail buttons and an Estes retainer (I should’ve left more motor tube sticking out, but I think it’ll be okay; it’s epoxied to both the tube and the centering ring), and rigged the shock cord. I overdid the clear coat on the decals and they…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 5)

I put the fins on, and the (square) launch lugs, and I discovered the v-notches in my Saranac carton may be good for supporting round rockets, but they’re even better for square ones. Square is relative, though. You can see the body tube isn’t quite square; the sides bow out just a little, and the…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 4)

I was willing to accept the spiral filling job on the section of the tube with the holes because, holes, but for the forward end of the tube, it wasn’t good enough. So I went to the art department at the universitiy bookstore and look what I found:Six for about $2.50. And look at the…

Building the Semroc Point (part 3)

Here’s the nose cone. The fins are very rough especially at the back, but they won’t be seen and drag is not exactly a prime concern here. The cone itself I treated with Elmer’s white glue and sanded before doing the painting. Gordon Agnello’s an advocate of this technique and having tried using CA to…

Building the NewWay Too Square (part 3)

The spirals are going to need more work. Meanwhile I painted the stuffer tube. And no, I did not fill the spirals on it. I was in the hobby store buying a can of Testors Dull Coat for the NORAD, and noticed the Lime Ice lacquer. Mostly I use Rustoleum 2X enamel, it’s cheap and…